Municipal Corporation, Hoshiarpur has served 35 sq.
kms area and 1, 68,653 population as per census,
2011. At present 12 revenue villages comes under
Municipal Corporation boundary.
Municipal Council, Hoshiarpur is upgraded as
Municipal Corporation by Government of Punjab
notification dated 17th September, 2013. Before
notifying as Municipal Corporation it was among one
of the oldest Municipal Councils of Punjab
constituted in 1868.
Time to time many eminent citizens of the
city/region linked themselves with the corporation.
At present Municipal Corporation consists 51 members
in its executive committee including hon’ble Member
of Legislative Assembly (MLA). Present council
constituted on 11th March, 2015, under which Shri
Shiv Kumar Sood constituted as mayor, Shri Prem
Singh “Piplanwala” as senior deputy mayor & Smt.
Sukla Devi Sharma as deputy mayor.
The old building of Municipal Council (Town Hall)
was built in British era about 155 years back. Due
to increase in population & traffic, it became very
difficult for employees & local residents to reach
the office. Second thing is that the condition of
the old building became very dilapidated even after
So, Municipal Council decided to construct a new
building on its 20 kanal land near Dhobi Ghat Chowk.
The foundation stone of new building was laid on 7th
October, 2010. The new building was inaugurated by
the then Hon’ble Chief Minister of Punjab S. Prakash
Singh Badal on 1st February, 2013. The new building
named after great Indian “Saint” Swami Vivekananda.
The new Building is well equipped with all the
modern technologies such as computers, CCTV cameras
& fire extinguisher etc. The building has its own
rainwater harvesting System also.
With the help of its citizen Municipal Corporation
is playing its duty as per Government rules &